School Bus Safety
courtesy of Texas Department of Education
More than a million children and teens depend on buses to get them safely to and from the more than 9,000 Texas schools every day. They also depend on motorists to know the law and drive safely around school buses.
Texas School Bus Law
- Stop for flashing red lights on a school bus, regardless of which direction you're headed.
- Continue your trip once the bus has moved, the flashing lights stop flashing or the bus driver signals it's okay to pass.
- Violations can lead to a $1,000 fine.
Safety Tips for Motorists
- Obey the posted speed limit.
- Fines double in school zones.
- Keep an eye on children gathered at bus stops.
- Watch for children who might dart across the street to catch the bus.
Tips for Students
Respect your school bus driver and follow these rules:
- Stand far back when you are waiting for the bus.
- Sit still so the driver can pay attention to the road.
- Look both ways if you have to cross the street after getting off the bus, or wait for the driver to signal it's safe to cross the street.